ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

Monday, November 27th, 2006
I recently deployed a Toshiba M400 for a client who could not wait any longer for the long-rumored X60 Tablet PC from Lenovo.

The Toshiba M400 is a nice Tablet PC and were it not for the challenges of getting good support from Toshiba I would recommend the M400 to anyone looking for a powerful Tablet PC. Of course, I warned my client that as soon as he purchased his new Toshiba M400, Lenovo would probably announce the X60.

You guessed it...
Now that the Lenovo X60 Tablet PC is here, I know which Tablet PC I will recommend. Lenovo's made huge improvements in a several areas: screen (you can now get XGA+ with MultiTouch pen and finger touch capabilities; outdoor wide screen anti-glare viewing available as an option.), memory (up to 4 gigs), disk (2.5" 7200 rpm, WWAN (EVDO) and battery life (up to 8 hours) -- all in a package that weighs between 3.8 and 4.16 pounds.

Many excellent tablet sites are blogging the details, so I won't repeat their comments here.

TabletPCReview as posted a very detailed review of the ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC.

Be sure to check out JKOnTheRun and GottaBeMobile as well.

ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

... and of course, blue screens of death are bundled at no extra charge. Is your Toshiba Death machine working today Mr. Mack?

Posted at 11/27/2006 4:45:17 PM by Michael Sampson

re: ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

Sort of and, hey, thanks for the encouragement.

I'm actually about to post what should be my final post about Toshiba - 3 pages of email exchange...

Eric

Posted at 11/28/2006 12:42:53 PM by Eric Mack

ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

Thanks for the recommendation on this Eric. My wife is strongly considering one. I haven't used one except for a limited demo at local store. I'm curious -- is the utility/wow-factor of a tablet still high even if you are a fast typist and a sloppy hand writer vs. someone who is a slow typist/neat writer? How much time do typically spend in tablet vs. keyboard mode?

Posted at 11/28/2006 7:28:04 PM by ActivityOwner

ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

Here's my $0.02 ... for all the times I have Eric on, I love my Tablet. For me it's not a matter of choosing to ink rather than type something else ... ink-ability opens a whole vista (small "v") of things I can do on the Tablet that I wouldn't normally do on a PC. Like ... snuggling up on the sofa and reading / marking up a PDF document, like inking a mindmap, and so on. Because I do the majority of my keyboard work on a Mac, my Tablet is always in Tablet mode. If the money isn't an issue, and your wife can see an opportunity to use ink, I'd say go for it.

And BTW, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (non-Tablet) as well as my Tosh M4 Tablet, and the Lenovo is beautiful. I don't think I'll by a Tosh again, which is a big change given that I've purchased 10 or so for myself in the last decade.

M.

Posted at 11/28/2006 7:42:57 PM by Michael Sampson

The Wow factor and Tablet PC’s

Dear ActivityOwner, yes. for me, teh Tablet PC retains its charm and wonder - even with the challenges I;ve had with Toshiba. This quote (above) says it best "ink-ability opens a whole vista (small "v") of things I can do on the Tablet that I wouldn't normally do on a PC. Like ... snuggling up on the sofa and reading / marking up a PDF document, like inking a mindmap, and so on."

I think Michael's admission that he is a closet Tablet PC user speaks volumes for the platform. ;-)

My next Tablet will be a Lenovo X60 TPC

Posted at 11/28/2006 9:31:14 PM by Eric Mack

ThinkPad X60 Tablet PC worth the wait

X60 was a dream of main and now a reality, using a x60 like a paint board is a good thing, touch screen always save many of my time when lack of a mouse, but some time i feel i need a replacement battery for use it for a longer time. like this: { Link }

Posted at 4/30/2009 2:08:15 AM by X60 Tablet